Sunday 18 November 2012

The Drive South


Friday morning I finally managed to make it out of bed at 6am to walk along the beach with Rachel. Beautiful beach and lots of people walking (we even found some sand dollars).

We spent the morning at home [had to try and catch up on some blogging and sorting out our day's itinery]. We finally decided on Bimmah Sinkhole and Wadi Shab. Mark picked Michael up from a sleepover and we went out to find a service station for petrol and some air to pump up the tyres. Boy, what a hard job that was. 2 faulty air pumps later and a quick lunch at McDonalds we finally found a pump that would work.



We headed south, stopping for the picture perfect views.



After an hour or so's drive, we reached the Bimmah Sinkhole. The sinkhole is a salt water pool which is said to connect to the ocean and was formed when a limestone cavern collapsed. It didn't look like much from the outside, but once we got close, it was gorgeous.



We walked down the stairs, laughing at the tree in the middle of the stairway, following the children who had already taken their shoes off and were heading for the water.




Whilst they swam in the pool Rachel and I stood in the shallow part and had a free fish foot treatment (when we stood still lots of tiny fish nibble at the skin on our feet. Very awesome).



Our next stop was Wadi Shab, a small gorge with pools that create a beautiful swimming area. If we were feeling energetic, we could have done a 2 hour hike and then swum through a key hole opening to get to another beautiful pool [but we didn't]




Matthew and Michael led the way across the river with Rachel and I following. I'm sure they took us the deepest way as many of the people crossing only seemed to be wet up to their knees and I was chest deep (and I'm not quite that short). I wouldn't let go of the camera though and stepped very carefully all the way across (I knew if I dropped the camera I may as well not come out because Cameron would kill me).




The view was worth it though, an oasis in the desert.



With a careful walk back and handing the camera back to Cameron as soon as I was able, we managed a quick play before driving home.


Another busy day (and up early Saturday as we had a boat trip organised for 8am and a 5.30am walk).

No comments:

Post a Comment