Saturday 29 September 2012

Our Hike Through the Mountains

Friday, I decided that I wanted to see a glacier and go into a glacial cave. (We decided not to go to Jungfrau as it was too expensive - 500 swiss francs) So after much research on the internet we found Oberer Gletschen (a 10 minute walk from where we could park the car, and 10 minutes later, we could go inside the cave). So we set out.

We found our way there really easily; parked the car and read the signs. (Because our German isn't good, they weren't a lot of good, but we got the general direction).
We walked about 10 minutes and found it was all chained off with a closed sign (that was what the sign had said). I was actually glad it was closed. When I read about 790 log steps, I didn't realise they looked like this, straight up the mountain.



Never mind, we still wanted to have a look, so we climbed a different path and tried again. This time we got views, but no glacier,



So we kept walking




We reached a restaurant at the top, (closed), but we spoke to a lady there and decided to keep walking. (50 mins back down the hill or 50 mins to the next place, easy walk she told us).


It was easy (the first bit), down hill and then along a straight path. 


Stopped for a drink, straight mountain water.



Through a tunnel, (long way up)



And walked more, (so much for the easy walk, we were exhausted)



Until finally we saw the cable car ride (my horrible husband made smart comments about how it was probably shut and we'd have to walk back. Matthew and I were too exhausted to kill him)




But it wasn't. We took the cable car down.





And finally I got to see my glacier.


What I didn't realise at the time was you got the same view from either car park.
Glacier 1

Glacier 2

What did we do in the afternoon? NOTHING. Back to the hotel and rest (although I did go up and down the stairs doing the washing). 

No comments:

Post a Comment