Wednesday 19 September 2012

Rhine River Cruise

We are now in Germany, and staying in Boppart, which is in the Middle Rhine District. We're staying at a lovely small hotel, Ohm Patt Hotel, owned and run by John, an Englishman, who is fantastic at helping us find things and organising our travel plans whilst we're here.

This morning after a yummy buffet breakfast, I left Cam down in the bar to do some emails and organise the Rhine Cruise with John. They decided we should take the 12.08 train to Bingen, and catch the ferry back to Boppart. (It was only 10.45, so we started out the door for a walk, but Cam and Matt weren't keen, so I left them there and had an hour's shopping) Found a gorgeous long top, and then searched for stamps for the postcards. (so hard finding stamps in a foreign country, resorted to showing the postcards, and pointing to the stamp spot). A man in the newsagency told me "Foto Heim", and after much looking I found the shop. It was a photo shop, but I asked and he sold me some stamps, but no post box. Tomorrow, I will search for a post office. Post cards will be coming.

Anyway I got back to the hotel, met Cam and Matt and we caught the train, had lunch and afternoon tea in Bingen, and then caught the ferry back. It was absolutely gorgeous. Castles on the riverbanks, hills and rocks; views of islands and where the  Nahe river meets the Rhine. Just awesome. We also had tea on the ferry, Spaghetti bolognaise and dessert. Matt and I shared a huge icecream sundae and Cam had apple struedel. We rolled off the ferry at Boppart, back to our hotel where we are having a quiet drink before rolling into bed. (And I am drinking sweet white wine, onto my 4th glass, that's why I'll be rolling into bed) Having an awesome time.





No comments:

Post a Comment